Gibraltar Public Holidays 2019 & 2020
- October 19, 2019
This page contains a national calendar of all 2019 and 2020 public holidays for Gibraltar.
Gibraltar Public Holidays 2019
The path can be found on the main road which leads from Jews Gate to the upper Rock. The path provides access to the now derelict Rooke Battery and Hayne’s Cave battery.
The wording on the sign is as follows;
THIS PATHWAY WAS CONSTRUCTED BY SOLDIERS OF 2ND Bn ROYAL ANGLIAN REGT DEC 1968 – AUG 1969 THE PATH IS MAINTAINED BY:
THE ROYAL ANGLIAN REGT.
THE GIBRALTAR REGT.
Rooke Battery (West Side batteries)
This battery was named after Admiral Sir George Rooke (1650-1709), commander-in-chief of the grand fleet and captor of the Rock in 1704.
In 1907 it mounted one 9.2-inch BL Mark X gun on a Mk. V mounting with an underground magazine and shelter, similar to the other 9.2-inch guns such as O’Hara’s, Lord Airey’s and others. The gun was removed some time after 1928.
During the Second WorId War the battery was used as the Fire Command Headquarters and it also mounted an electric search light. It is these remains that are still in place today.
This battery should not be confused with HMS Rooke which is the name of the Naval Shore Station in Gibraltar.
A number of support buildings can be explored, most of which are in a poor state.
Hayne’s Cave Battery (West Side batteries)
This battery was named after Capt. Haynes who was the garrison quartermaster in 1787. It first mounted guns in 1788.
The photographs opposite show the remains of one of the two gun positions which are approximately 40 metres apart, a north and a south position (photographs show the south position).
In January 1902 it was proposed to mount two 12-pdr. QF guns, but by 24 June of that year these were changed to two 4-inch QF guns. Work on the battery was completed on 26 February 1904 at a cost of £2,546. The northern gun had an arc of fire from 31 degrees to 171 degrees west of true North, and the southern gun from 25 degrees to 159 degrees west. The guns were removed in 1911 when the batteries role was taken over by the 6-inch gun position at Tovey Battery.
The path emerges onto the road leading down to the Apes Den.